Wednesday 25 February 2009

The power of the mind

As mentioned in my first post on this blog, in some cultures the power of suggestion can be strong enough to kill someone. Even in Western society, where we like to think of ourselves as sophisticated, developed human beings, a figure of authority can wield a great deal of power.
I'm talking about this because the reason I've been a bit slow off the mark commenting on the Blackpool convention (see next post) is that I spent most of yesterday at the hospital. As it turns out, what I'm suffering from is relatively trivial, if uncomfortable and disfiguring. But the first nurse who looked at me expressed alarm and gave me the impression I could be in mortal danger. A pall of gloom instantly descended on me and I began to think of how I might cope with having the sort of unexpectedly dire illness that carries people off in 24 hours. OK, I may have over-reacted but you see it in the news and you know it happens. And the point is, it hadn't occurred to me I might have anything serious until the nurse put the wind up me. When, after a few hours, I saw a doctor who told me I was going to be fine, I instantly felt much better, long before I started taking the medicine.
As magicians, we need to remember that people may respect our opinions and/or be afraid of our powers (not mine, obviously, but those who have significant magical skill). Don't underestimate the effect you can have on other people's lives. Use your powers for good.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home